Spring 2021 newsletter released
The CLASP newsletter for Spring 2021 is now available in the usual location.
100 Club winners notification
Many congratulations to Sandra Deacon winner of the April 2021 100 club draw – as announced at the start of our latest Memorial lecture “You are what you eat: isotopic evidence from Whitehall Farm and Early Medieval England” given by Dr. Sam Legget.
CLASP memorial lectures; updated.
The latest CLASP memorial lecture in the series is now open for registration. Stephen Bacon presents “Medieval Spices” on 22nd June. The next event in the series is Dr. Samantha Leggett’s talk “You are what you eat: isotopic evidence from Whitehall Farm and Early Medieval England” on 27th April. More information and booking for both events is available on the events listings page.
CLASP memorial lectures 2021
We’re delighted to announce a series of archaeology lectures from guest speakers for spring 2021. The virtual lectures begin on the 13th of April with “Bannaventa: Geophysical survey and the Roman road network” and proceed fortnightly throughout April, May and June. For more information and to register for free tickets please see the events listings page.
News update March 2021
The CLASP Trustees met on 1st March.
- The CLASP Facebook Group now has over 100 members, with interesting posts added every day – join the Group to be able to post and comment
- CLASP Membership extended to 16/17 year olds
- REPORT: The 2019 dig at the Whitehall Farm Anglo-Saxon Cemetery
CLASP brings local archaeology enthusiasts together to investigate their local past.
Our members, all volunteers, are technically led by our professionally qualified Archaeological Director, himself a volunteer. Members are encouraged and enabled to learn skills for themselves, both formally and ‘in the field’, to become confident and self-sufficient in all aspects of archaeological investigation.
CLASP also provides talks and lectures as part of its commitment to encouraging local communities to ‘own’ their archaeological heritage.
- You can find out more about CLASP by excavating this website using the links at the top of the page.
- News and new website features are signalled as “Posts” which you see listed in the column on the right.
The Reports & Submissions section of this website includes:
- CLASP case-studies
- CLASP reports on projects and activities
- CLASP geophysical survey reports
- CLASP technical guidance documents
- CLASP submissions to planning enquiries
To enter the Members’ Area, or to read “Protected” posts, you will need to be a CLASP Individual Member, and to use the password shown on your current CLASP membership card.
CLASP Conference 2016 online
Watch the videos of the proceedings (on Vimeo): nine talks plus the welcome and panel discussion.
Archaeology – Back To Our Roots
This illustrated account of the Whitehall Farm Roman Villa excavation was published in the spring 2018 edition of Gridline, a publication for National Grid’s grantors and landowners.